Registration Information for Butler Middle School 2014-2015
Welcome to BMS for the 2014-2015 school year. We are so excited about the coming year that we wanted to share a few things with you to help you prepare for the coming year.
The first thing you will encounter is Online Registration. You should have received a post card from the district regarding this process. We are encouraging all students to have the online registration complete by August 8th. Here are the highlights:
- Online Registration will begin on July 28th.
- Online Registration gives you the opportunity to complete the yearly registration forms and pay fees online.
- Once you have completed the Online Registration, you will be able to print the student schedule and locker number and combination.
- Walk-in Registration: We have two times where we will have computer help available to assist you in the online registration process. These will be in the help in the Main Office Board Room:
- Thursday, Aug. 7, 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Monday, Aug. 11, 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM
- During the Online Registration process, it is really important that you enter correct contact information. We send home regular Skylerts (informational messages) through the Skyward System. We do phone calls, emails, and text messages. As a parent you can select to receive all general messages or only emergency messages. You can enter multiple phone numbers and emails. Please be sure to keep this information updated through your Skyward account.
We have quite a few dates for you to note at the beginning of the school year:
- Tuesday, Aug. 19th6th Grade Orientation, 7:55 - 11:55 AM
- Wednesday, Aug. 20thFirst Day of School, 7:55 AM – 2:50 PM
- Friday, Aug. 22nd First Friday Collaboration (School from 9:30 AM – 2:50 PM)
- Tuesday, Aug. 26th First Safety Evacuation Drill
- Wednesday, Aug. 27th Back to School Night
- Monday, Sept. 1 Labor Day, No School
- Tues/Wed, Sept. 2/3 Schedule Change Request Sign-ups in the Counseling Center
- Wednesday, Sept. 3 School Pictures in Social Studies Classes
- Tuesday, Sept. 2 Bruins Den, after school tutoring 3:00-4:00 pm in the Media Center
- Wednesday, Sept. 10 School Community Council Mtg., 4:00
6th Grade Orientation is a chance for our incoming 6th grade to attend school for a ½ day and learn about middle school. We will all start in the auditorium and from there students will be sent on an abbreviated A day schedule. Classes will talk about school procedures, where to find help, how to read the schedule, student recognitions, opening lockers, etc. We will also provided students with a snack and a drink. Busses will run their regular routes at normal morning times and adjusted drop of times as the school day will run from 7:55-11:55 AM. We hope to see you there!!!
Friday Collaboration is held each Friday. Teachers meet from 7-9 AM each Friday morning. This is an opportunity for our teachers to collaborate on student learning and curriculum connections. We also do professional development or training. This year our school’s focus will be literacy in each classroom. Students who arrive before 9:00 AM will be directed to a supervised study hall.
Back to School Night—We held Back to School Night earlier last year. Parent and teacher feedback suggested to have this after the first week of school. So, this year our Back to School Night will be held on August 27th at 6:00 PM. This is an opportunity to meet your student’s teachers and learn about the class for this year. We will begin in the auditorium with a short introduction from the administration and then off to the classes. We will be sending home a flyer with more details the first week of school.
Schedule Change Requests—Counselors are busy during August registering our new students and addressing any inaccurate schedules (i.e. you were scheduled for French and are in the Spanish class, you have no class during 4th period, etc.). Students who wish to change their elective classes are directed to wait until Tuesday and Wednesday, September 2 and 3. During those two days, we will have schedule request forms available in the Counseling Center. Students will need to complete the form and sign up for a schedule change. We will be collecting that information on those two days. Counselors will then review those requests with administration and attempt to address as many as possible throughout September. After those two days, schedule change requests will have a form and process to complete. The expectation is that students will remain in their selected classes for the entire year. We hire teachers and put together a schedule based on student requests. While all change requests will be considered, not all requests can be accommodated due to scheduling constraints.
The Bruins’ Den—Starting on Sept. 2, the Bruins’ Den will be available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 3:00- 4:00 PM in the Media Center. This is a time for students to complete homework and/or get help from teachers. Each afternoon, we have a math and science teacher, as well as one other teacher available in the Media Center to assist with student homework. Students can work on their own or get assistance from a teacher. Computers are available for homework.
School Pictures will be taken on Wednesday, Sept. 3. Please make note of this date. All students are to have their picture taken for the school memory book and for a school ID. Every student also have the option to purchase picture packages. We will send a flyer home detailing these options during the week prior to the picture date.