Our Butler Middle counselor Tatiana Grant attended an ADHD Conference with Dr. Hallowell that is a psychiatrist, a NY Times bestselling author, world-renowned speaker and leading authority in the field of ADHD.
Dr. Hallowell said that people with ADHD were given a Ferrari brain with bicycle breaks. These people are very curious and flooded with ideas and some are impulsive. People with ADHD need to celebrate the positives because they already live with the negatives. They are extremely bright and intelligent people that need to unwrap the gift of ADHD and celebrate what they are good at.
1. To feel connected at school and at home
2. They need to be challenged. When they are challenged and they accomplish goals it helps them feel good and they search for new successes with confidence and optimism.
3. Celebrate the positives (what you are good at)
4. Positive attitude
Some things that can help them are:
- A human connections at school, home, etc.
- Getting enough sleep
- Being coached to be organized and be on task.
- Balance & Coordination games and tasks (example: get dressed standing up and not sitting down, stand on one leg, etc.)
And the most important 3 are:
Mark Patey is a very successful entrepreneur that presented on exploring the gifts and curses of ADD/ADHD. He researched many millionaires for his book and found that 84% of the successful millionaire entrepreneurs had ADHD. Mark told us his personal journey, experiences and research findings. He feels strongly that when the ADHD person finds his equal opposite that is willing to help, nobody can stop their success. He talked about how the curses can be gifts as per his examples:
- Distracted vs. Multitasking
- Impulsive vs. Spontaneous
- Scatterbrained vs. Creative
- Emotional vs. Enthusiastic
- Hyper vs. Energetic
Mark is also willing to come to our school (Butler Middle) and talk to our students, parents, and faculty. A future date will be scheduled and you will be informed so you can attend if interested.