Throughout the School
Hallways and Stairwells
· Students are expected to bring their Chromebooks to school charged each day.
· Students are expected to follow the Acceptable Use Policy in regards to using their Chromebook.
· The school will provide each student with the following:
· Students/ families are asked to provide:
The GREAT Room (Library/Media Center)
Ms. LaDena Saxey
Ms. Melissa Christensen
Too sick for school?
Canyons District/Butler Middle Learning
· As the alarm sounds, students exit the building following their classroom evacuation route
· Students line up in their teacher’s assigned area in the field to the west of the school
· Teachers take roll and report accountability to administration
· When the drill is completed, students are directed to return to class with their teacher
If there is a fire, parents are notified via Skylert. If students and staff are unable to reenter the building, students would most likely relocate to Brighton High School where parents would be directed to pick up their student(s).
Shelter In Place – A shelter in place is used to keep students and staff safe indoors when there is a threat or hazard outside of the building.
· An administrator announces the shelter in place drill
· Teachers close their classroom doors and teach as usual
· Any outside activities are brought inside (ex: PE activities)
· Perimeter doors are locked (including the main entrance doors)
· Restroom visits are kept at a minimum for duration of the drill
If there is a need for a shelter in place, administration would work with the District and Cottonwood Heights Police Department. Depending upon the specific situation, students remain in the classroom until the situation is resolved. Parents are notified by Skylert.
· An administrator announces the earthquake drill
· Students are to duck and cover as taught to avoid falling debris
· During a drill, students would then evacuate utilizing the fire drill procedures
In case of an actual earthquake, students are to duck and cover until the shaking ceases. At this point, administration will assess the damage and determine if an evacuation is necessary. (If evacuation is necessary, students will follow the fire drill evacuation procedures. Parents would be notified via Skylert where to reunite with their student.)
Lockdown – A lockdown is used when there is an immediate safety threat in or around the school. A lockdown’s purpose is to minimize visibility while sheltering students, staff and any visitors.
· Administration announces a lockdown over the intercom
· Teachers quickly scan the hallway and close and lock their classroom door
· Students quickly move within the classroom to areas not easily visible from the door or window
· Students should stay off cell phones and remain quiet and calm
· Administration will announce the end of the drill
· Often the Cottonwood Heights Police Department will assist with walking the building during the drill
In an actual lockdown within the school building,
· students outside the building would be directed by a teacher to the closest place to hide out of sight or to move to Brighton High School.
· students and staff inside the building will follow the lockdown drill procedures. Students and staff will remain in classrooms until the threat has ended.
· Law enforcement and administration will unlock classroom doors and give directions to students and staff.
· Parents will be notified via Skylert the procedures for reuniting with their student(s).