What a week!! I was around the building in classes and saw some really impressive things. Our teachers and students are really working hard and engaged in good learning. I also want to express my gratitude for your support in helping to keep the TikTock stuff out of school. We have had a few minor vandalism incidents, but not the same as other schools in the state or nation. Our students really do help to keep our community safe. I appreciate your support and help with this. A big thank you to our School Board for the work day today. I know that it is tricky for some families, and I am sorry for that. I can say as educators we need the time. We need to have time to work through the classroom data and identify ways we can reach more students, find ways to reteach what the last test showed us we needed to reteach, organize information on Canvas, prepare lessons, etc. Today is precious time for us and i hope you know that we have appreciated and used every minute.
Remote Learning Friday–Remote Learning Fridays are days of learning. Hopefully your child checked on their Canvas courses and completed their work. Students are expected to use the time for independent learning and will be provided with learning packets or assignments on CSD’s common learning management system Canvas. BMS Remote Learning Days.docx.pdf Teachers will be at the school working and will use the time to create lesson plans and work one-on-one with students. Staff will also be working on these days. The six Remote-Learning Fridays are November 5, 2021, December 3, 2021, January 7, 2022, February 11, 2022, March 25, 2022, and April 22, 2022 (except Brighton High School). More information can be found at canyonsdistrict.org.
The BMS Veterans’ Wall – Each year Butler Middle School puts up a Veterans’ Wall. This is a tradition to honor the people who have served in the various branches of the military. It can be anyone who is special to you and your family—a close friend, family, a neighbor, etc. We will be posting the name of each Veteran, a picture, the branch of service, years of service, name of the conflict or war during which the Veteran served, and the name of the person submitting and the relationship (friend, uncle, GG grandfather, mom, neighbor, etc). Names are submitted to Mrs. Van Haaften in the media center. Students can talk with their social studies teachers about this as well. We have been collecting names and hanging them up on our Veterans’ Wall. Names will stay up through Veterans’ Day, November 11th. We also use the information to put together a slideshow and have an assembly to recognize our BMS Veterans. For this assembly our band, orchestra and choir are learning (and will be performing) some patriotic songs. It is a GREAT opportunity to recognize some of the people who have sacrificed for our county and for our rights and freedoms. If you have someone in your life who has served, we encourage you to submit that information. Thank you!
- Make sure to purchase your Memory Books before the price increases! Purchase them now through the BMS Main Office for $25. The price will go to $30 after November 12th. You have one more week!!!
- We have a Memory Book Cover Contest going on. Get your entries in by the due date November 30, 2021.
- Watch for our December Partnership Night. More details to come.
- November11 Veteran’s Day Assembly
- November 12 First Chapter Friday
- November 18 Golden Bruin – Mickey Mouse’s Birthday
- November 23 2nd Quarter Mid Term (Progress Reports)
- November 24-27 Thanksgiving Recess
Current After School Activities
- Chess League Mondays
- Bruins Den Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
- Math Help Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Math Counts Wednesdays
- Robotics League Thursdays
If you are feeling that more than normal anxiety or stress is happening with you or your child, please let us know. If you are noticing excessive amounts of homework, please contact us. You can contact a teacher, the counselors, or the administration. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to help.
It’s always a GREAT day. . . To be a BRUIN!!!
Ms. Paula Logan
Ongoing Items – These items have been addressed before, but you may need the information again.
- Bruins Den – November 9,10, and 11. The Bruins’ Den is available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 3:00- 4:00 PM in the Media Center. This is a time for students to complete homework and/or get help from teachers. Each afternoon, two teachers are available in the Media Center to assist with student homework. Students can work on their own or get assistance from a teacher. Computers are available for homework.
- Wild Weather Days – As the weather changes, we will experience more Inside Days. Inside Days are when the “FEELS LIKE” temperature is below 22 degrees Fahrenheit or there is significant winds or wet weather. This is the same practice that is in our elementary schools. On those inside days, you will see signage at the front doors. Doors/Classrooms are to be open at 7:30 AM. Students are always welcome to go outside during lunch. We post the air quality each day for students, and on rainy or wet days we discourage students from going outside. They do not always listen.
- Emergency Substitutes – If you have the ability and the time, we need emergency substitutes. You can sign up with the district to be a substitute and specify you only want BMS or a specific set of schools. You can also contact Ms. LaDena Saxey to sign up to be an emergency sub or to find out more. You will need to complete a background check. Call the main office at (801) 826-6800 between 8:00 a.m.and 2:00 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org